And so it comes to this time of year again. The time where I sit down and decide which of the products I’ve used over the course of the year have become such firm favourites, that they came out tops above any other of the same.
These posts are not easy to put together. There are so many lovely products that get enjoyed and loved, and having to narrow it down to only one is time consuming. Buuuttt here goes my attempt at it!
Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm – I’ve tried so many different primers this year, and yet I kept coming back to this, the product I’m using for a purpose other than the one for which it was designed. This keeps my skin hydrated, my makeup applies much more smoothly and it stays put much longer.
Catrice HD Liquid Coverage foundation
– This year has also been the year for experimenting with new foundations. Although this product was only released in the second half of the year, and I’ve only had it for a few months, it has become my absolute go-to. It’s full coverage, it feels like nothing on my skin, and it lasts for long periods of time.
Rimmel Stay Matte pressed powder
– Without a doubt this was my favourite powder. I’ve gone through about 8 of these this year, and always have a backup in my collection before my current one is finished. Magic stuff.
Benefit Hoola bronzer
– I’ve finished one of the mini sizes of this and am already planning on buying the full size. It’s the perfect shade for bronzing and lightly contouring – not too warm and not too cool in tone.
Catrice Treasure Trove Caviar and Champagne blush
– The may be from a limited edition collection, but I have to be honest and admit that even though it’s no longer available, it’s been my favourite blush of the year. It gives the right amount of peachy colour and glow.
Catrice Treasure Trove Golden Grace highlighter
– Once again, from a limited edition collection, but I hit pan on this highlighter long ago, and even though I have about 5 other highlighters, I always reach for this one. It’s so gorgeous and subtle, yet very glowy.
Soap & Glory Archery Brow Pencil
– I really got into brows this year, and this one has been by far my favourite. I’m on my second one, after trying out 4 others from different brands, and I just wish that Soap & Glory was available in South Africa. I’ve found a pretty close dupe here, in the form of the NYX Micro Brow Pencil, so that’ll have to do for now.
Brow setting gel:
Essence Make Me Brow brow mascara
– I’m on my fourth tube of this brow gel, and it’s claimed to be a dupe for the Benefit Give Me Brow. It gives colour and fullness to my brows, as well as setting them in place. I use this alone on days when I’m going for a more minimalist look, and to finish off my brows when I spend a little more time on them.
Wet & Wild Eyeshadow primer
– Like superglue for your eyelids, this keeps whatever I put on top, in place all day long. I once rocked a dark smokey eye on a night out, forgot to remove my makeup when I got home (SHOCKING, don’t judge me!), and when I woke up the following morning, all of my face makeup had rubbed off, but my eyes still looked pretty darned fresh.
Too Faced Chocolate Bar palette – Another brand we don’t get here in South Africa (come on Too Faced, make a plan!!), these eyeshadows are soft, super blendable and beautifully pigmented. Plus they smell like chocolate!
Colourpop Supershock eyeshadows
– Not quite a cream, not a powder, these mousse-like shadows are insanely pigmented and so gorgeous. My particular favourite shade is Weenie, from the Kathleen Lights collaboration. It’s the most beautiful rose gold that makes blue and green eyes really pop and sparkle.
Essence Gel waterproof eye pencil
– I have this in three or four shades. They’re just so fantastic! If you smudge them out as soon as you apply them, you can get a little smokiness, and then they set down until you remove them.
L’Oreal False Lash Wings Sculpt mascara
– I was so unsure of this mascara, and now I feel bad for ever doubting it. It does everything I’ve ever wanted a mascara to do, and more. So perfect!
MAC Velvet Teddy – I wear this almost every single day. I’ve actually had to stop myself from doing so, as I’ll finish it within a month, and then have all of my other lipsticks to wear that are untouched!
Colourpop Ultra Satin liquid lipstick in Littlesticious – The most beautiful nude shade, this looks great on my pale skin and tanned skin, and is great for lightening up any darker shades of liquid lipstick that I want to make more muted. I’ll have to repurchase this one for sure, as it’s on it’s way out.
Soap & Glory Sexy Mother Pucker Extreme Plump gloss – This stuff is not for the faint-hearted. It tingles so extremely that it feels like you have crazy pins and needles on your lips, paired with some sherbet fizzing away at the same time. Yet, it really does seem to plump my lips and it has such a lovely buttery texture that I really just enjoy wearing it. Plus, the tingles are kind of addictive!
L’Oreal Lip Liner Couture in Bois de Rose – A beautiful pinky-nude shade, this liner complements nearly all of my nude and pink lipsticks, is super creamy and it glides on like heaven.
Nuxe Reve de Miel lip balm
– This is my go to lip balm for before bed every night. It treats my lips and really nourishes them, and was the only thing that got my lips through this year’s particularly dry winter.
Urban Decay Chill Setting Spray – Mine is finished, and I’m working my way through my other setting sprays before I treat myself to another one of these. It feels cool and fresh on your face, settles powders and WOW does it keep your makeup in place. Worth every cent.
Help spread the blog love